Paul and I were discussing the other day the number of tragic cycling deaths recently. In the last two months it seems that a week did not go by where I read that another cyclist was killed while cycling. A Google Search revealed some of these headlines that have taken place in 2011.
Recent Headlines Include:
- Cyclist died after being thrown from her bike on a hill at 35mph.
- Toronto Cyclist killed in "preventable" collision
- Cyclist dies after being run over
- Cyclist killed on Queen Street when 'doored' by parked car
- 2nd Montreal cylist killed in 2 days
It's simply tragic that these lives were cut short. Having commuted for over 25 years on my bike, I've learned to simply Keep Alert. I'll break this down as to what I mean in a future post. Having taken all precautions while cycling, there are times I am shaken by the near miss of an overtaking car, bus, dump truck or transport truck while traveling parts of Hamilton or Burlington.
If you are new to cycling, I encourage you to watch the video produced in the UK. The video provides some helpful tips to riding safe.